Thursday, January 19, 2023

My Top Five News Sources

 As society moves along, our options for absorbing current events become more and more. There are more outlets than ever, and it can be overwhelming trying to find the sources that work the best. When it comes to taking in our news, it's important to be reading from multiple different sources. It has taken me some time to find the sources that I find to be the most efficient. Listed below are my top five news sources...in no particular order.

The Wall Street Journal is a favorite of mine. I like WSJ because the articles are interesting and easy to read. WSJ gives enough information on a wide variety of topics that range from business to entertainment. WSJ is typically a conservative news source, so I do like to get my news from WSJ when looking from the right-winged angle. 

I use WSJ's app on my phone for quick, easy access and notifications of breaking news stories.


Another source that I get some of my news from is Fox News. Admittedly, Fox News runs in my circle of obtaining news due to the fact that it's my family's preferred news outlet. Over time, I've grown to like it as well. 

However, since Fox News tends to leans towards the conservative side, I make it a point to keep in mind that they don't necessarily cover all stories from all angles, and that I need to have a source that covers the other side.


The New York Times is similar to WSJ in that they cover a wide variety of topics and have new articles daily. I also use The New York Times app on my phone for quick access and consistent notifications. 

The New York Times is my preferred source for political news, since they tend to cover lots of politics in and outside of the U.S. The NYT tends to lean more towards the left, which is something I keep in mind when reading news stories -- I also enjoy doing the daily Wordle.


Although I don't necessarily go out out of my way to get my news on social media, Twitter is a common news source that I use. I do actually like getting my news from Twitter, because that way I can see what other people are saying about the topic and it makes it easy to get multiple perspectives on one story.

However, I advise to tread lightly when gathering any current news from social media. It's important to keep in mind that most people who are spreading news on Twitter are likely not trained journalists, and will likely give a biased report without doing their research.


I will admit that I like to keep up with my favorite A-list celebrities. I like to know what's going on with my favorite Food Network superstar chefs...and often the major news outlets don't always cover those people. 

When it comes to entertainment and celebrity news, I typically get my current events and breaking news from People. People is always quick on getting notifications out on breaking news, and I find that People looks into the stories on a much deeper, personal level.











No comments:

Post a Comment

EOTO 4: Final Exam: Shana Alexander

Shana Alexander is considered one of the greatest female journalists of all time. Alexander paved the way for many female journalists, pushi...